Monday, January 27, 2014

Travel, a source of Knowledge

Here at graded we use the knowledge of cultures everyday. What you can and can’t say to some people what jokes you can make to certain people. I believe that this is a result of general knowledge but it is also acquired by travel. 
Travelling is something that I have been used to since very little my parents have taken me all around the globe. It is something that they loved and have taught me to love as well. When you travel you might go to someplace you have been before or you might also go to a place you have never seen at all. When I think of all the times that I have complained because of a place or because of a hike that was too long, I look back and I think of what all those moments have brought me (and I hope will continue bringing) in terms of knowledge of the world, of the numerous magical places there are on this earth and most importantly of all the various different culture that I then encountered again in my life. When you travel you always gain all this knowledge about different cultures and how they are different than you. It allows you to open your points of you and have a larger way of seeing things, instead of just seeing things how you want to see them. The knowledge that you can gain through experiencing is worth in my opinion so much more than the knowledge that you gain in books or on the internet. When you actually go to a place in the world you can see with your own eyes the way they choose to live and how. If you read these things you won’t gain the same kind of knowledge. You know how those experiences feel and you have been in the reality of them. You are directly in the source of where the knowledge that the people got to write that book or post that article online have been and you get their experiences and their knowledge gained on your own. 
A personal experience of gaining knowledge by travelling for me would be the trips that I have been doing around south america. They have helped me not only understand the country that I am living in better but also the countries around it. Many friends that I have met at Graded come from theses places all around Brazil and South America, which is why travelling to those places help me understand the people that I am surrounded with each day, better. Of course a lot of people at school have not kept these traditions from their countries as you can observe when you travel to those places but it helps you understand their background and their values. 

Sometimes you might even be surprised when as you return to a place you have been many times before you still learn things that you didn't know. There are an infinite number of things to learn. 

2 comments:

  1. Good work, Bleuwenn. I like the way you've made a claim and then tried to justify it. As I see it, your claim is that travel helps one build perspectives, which lead to richer knowledge. You also make the claim that physically experiencing a place is different from reading about it. Then you go on to elaborate those claims. Since your primary justification is through personal experience with this claim, you might do a couple of things to strengthen it:
    How do you know that you have more knowledge from travelling? You could get much more specific with your anecdote--tell us a particular case that illustrates your point. Use detail.
    How do you know that reading about a place is different from actually going there?
    And finally, you need to really challenge your own claims:
    Is it possible that you assume this is true for others just because it's true for you?
    Are you really "experiencing" other cultures when you go there on vacation?
    Is there anyone who would disagree with this? What is their argument?

    Anyway, I have a feeling that the default for most people in our class would be to agree with this. And I like your writing voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Never Saw a Moor (by Emily Dickinson)

    I never saw a moor;
    I never saw the sea,
    Yet know I how the heather looks
    And what a billow be.

    I never spoke with God,
    Nor visited in heaven.
    Yet certain am I of the spot
    As if the checks were given.

    ReplyDelete